Tuesday, March 14, 2017

Night Blog

Throughout the book Wiesel changes a lot, but the biggest change is seen with his religion. In the beginning of the book Wiesel states, “I believed profoundly. During the day I studied the Talmud, and at night I ran to the synagogue to weep over the destruction of the temple. One day I asked my father to find me a master to guide me in my studies cabbala.” (1) So Wiesel was so extremely pious that not only did he study two different religions, but he also begged his father to find him a master to guide him in his studies of the Cabala. So that just goes to show how pious Wiesel was at the beginning of the book. But even though he is extremely pious in the beginning it does not stay that way for the whole book because Wiesel states, “Never shall I forget those moments which murdered my god and my soul…”. (33) So this was the start of Wiesel’s “hatred” of god, because all of the jewish people are suffering while god is just watching it happen, doing nothing. 

Another transformation that Wiesel goes through is his relationship with his father. This is stated in, ““My father was a cultured man, rather unsentimental. He rarely displayed his feelings, not even within his family, and was more involved with the welfare of others than with that of his own kin”(2). This shows that before everything had happened they really did not have a good relationship, due to the fact that he never really showed emotion. But even though they did not have a really good relationship in the beginning of the book, it does not stay that way. Later on in the book, “They said that we were sick, that we would die soon, and that it would be a waste of food ...I Can't Go on … I gave him what was left of my soup” (102).This shows how could of a relationship they had because even though his father was dying, he still gave him part of his rations.

So as you can see Weisel had went through many major changes, during his suffering. He went from being an extremely pious boy to a broken man. But even though he is broken he also got stronger, all of the hardships that he had gone through those times had just made him stronger. 

Wiesel, Elie. Night. New York: Bansom Edition, 1960. Print

No comments:

Post a Comment