Wednesday, March 8, 2017

Butterfly Poem



"Terezin" by Hanuš Hachenburg


“That bit of filth in dirty walls,
And all around barbed wire,
And 30,000 souls who sleep
Who once will wake
And once will see
Their own blood spilled.
I was once a little child,
Three years ago.
That child who longed for other worlds.
But now I am no more a child
For I have learned to hate.
I am a grown-up person now,
I have known fear.

Bloody words and a dead day then,
That’s something different than bogie men!
But anyway, I still believe I only sleep today,
That I’ll wake up, a child again, and start to laugh and play.
I’ll go back to childhood sweet like a briar rose,
Like a bell which wakes us from a dream,
Like a mother with an ailing child
Loves him with woman’s love.
How tragic, then, is youth which lives
With enemies, with gallows ropes,
How tragic, then, for children on your lap
To say: this for the good, that for the bad.
Somewhere, far away out there, childhood sweetly sleeps,
Along that path among the trees,
There o’er that house
Which was once my pride and joy.
There my mother gave me birth into this world
So I could weep . . .
In the flame of candles by my bed, I sleep
And once perhaps I’ll understand
That I was such a little thing,
As little as this song.
These 30,000 souls who sleep
Among the trees will wake,
Open an eye
And because they see
A lot
They’ll fall asleep again. . .”

I commented on: Lazar's BlogJesse's BlogKezia's BlogJulian's BlogAntwone's Blog

6 comments:

  1. Your butterfly is very interesting. I liked how you incorporated the meaning that red symbolizes blood(and death), and how that is associated with the Holocaust. I could see your standpoint from the quotes you used. The video was unusually long and I think you could have found another video with similar, yet consice, information. Your thoughts on the barbed wire were thought-provoking, and provided another angle at the poem that I didn't see before. The barbed wire is explained well, and although the quote you used was short, you analyzed it well. Some of the other tags could have had quotes(i.e. Dreams) and I found the images relevant to the poem.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You could have done better Anthony, but I will give you credit you did very good on your Thinklink tags. I don't think you realized but two of your Thinklink tags are the same. Anyway, thing I have a problem with is your butterfly. The butterfly was very rushed. It looked like it took you about 15 minutes to finish the butterfly. You could've done so much more, but what ever happened you were able to make a decent butterfly out of the time you had. Decent job, but you could've done much better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The design of the butterfly looks a bit decent but it looks like it was made last minute. Although I do give credit for the labeling in your thinglink. I learned a lot about your poem and about Terezin. The butterfly would fit well with the poem if more effort was put in the butterfly

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your butterfly is very unique. I like how you showed barbed wires to symbolize that the Jew were trapped. The fact that you had a color scheme to the butterfly was very pleasing, you didn't but red just because you liked but to show the blood that shed. Although I think you could have chosen a shorter video, you're butterfly was very good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good job Anthony your thing link tags are top notch. Although your butterfly looks a little plain but that's ok cause the red and other symbolism can explain a whole lot. Keep up the good work

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anthony I like your blog it looks like you put in enough time in your butterfly.Your butterfly was well made, and I can tell that you put effort into making the butterfly.

    ReplyDelete